[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster + earthquake safe fire shelters

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 27 16:55:30 UTC 2013

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:52:24 -0400, <GSBN-request at sustainablesources.com>
wrote:
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 17:30:55 -0400
> From: oasis at oasisdesign.netre: Steel mesh in clay plaster + earthquake
> safe fireshelters

> it only takes a few hundred pounds of wire to reinforce a 100,000 lb cob
> building.

> What is properly sized reinforcement?

> Still being worked out, but 1/8" wire mesh on 6" centers is abetter fit
> to  cob than say, 3/8" rebar on 18" centers.

> (wire mesh) has a high likelhood of a) enabling the thing to get a
> permit and be built

Y'all;

It would seem that the third sentence (quoted above) negates the validity
of the first sentence.

I know nothing about designing/building with cob simply because its
thermal performance makes it unsuitable for use for energy-efficient
buildings in my climate (~8700 HDD/yr) so I've not looked at it in depth.

However, I do know that in the design of reinforced concrete structures,
6" x 6" x 6 gauge welded wire mesh would be utilised only as secondary
reinforcement to control temperature and shrinkage cracking.

I also know that for reinforced concrete, the ratio of the cross sectional
areas of reinforcment : concrete matters -- too much reinforcement can
result in sudden destructive failure of the concrete -- too little
reinforcement is essentially no reinforcement and can result in
catastrophic failure of the structure.

"A few hundred pounds" of wire mesh to reinforce 50 tons of cob whose
thickness is presumably a foot or more sounds like a case of the latter --
essentially a case of trying to use T&S reinforcement as primary
reinforcement.

Quite frankly, I suspect that straw or other fibre in the mix is probably
more effective at the task of T&S than either 6x6 or chicken wire mesh and
that a bamboo grid (whose spacing/placement/detailing has been properly
designed) would be more appropriate for the primary reinforcement.

I also suspect that in most jurisdictions when seeking plans approval,
approaching the Chief Building Officer with alternative reinforcement
strategies that were developed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers would
be looked upon more favourably than a scheme with no engineering
documentation and mostly anecdotal support.

=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257
Kanata, Ontario, Canada

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")