[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster + earthquake safe fire shelters

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Sun Aug 25 17:38:02 UTC 2013

I've no experience in building with earthen plasters but I must confess
that I did find the notion of high embodied-energy steel reinforcement for
earthen plasters, incongruous --not only because of the obvious Greenie
issues but because using 200 - 400 MPa steel reinforcing with an earthen
mix whose compression resistance might be in the range of 20 - 40 kg/ cm^2
strikes me as being akin to to using a Sikorsky Sea King helicopter to go
to the corner store to get a bag of milk.

I would have thought that a reinforcement strategy would include bamboo if
only because it provides a larger cross-sectional area against which the
low-compression-resistance earthen plaster is bearing. ie I would think
that the relatively small diameter wire of steel or plastic mesh would
create a scenario not unlike a wire cheese cutter going through a block of
cheese, if push comes to shove (as in a seismic event).

I had a vague memory of reading about the U.S. Army doing some studies
with bamboo as an alternative to steel in reinforced concrete in the '60s
of the previous millennium and a quick Google turned up the following
document as one of the first hits:

http://www.romanconcrete.com/docs/bamboo1966/BambooReinforcedConcreteFeb1966.htm

In looking through the document, the following sentence in the intro
caught my eye:

============ copied material ==================
" Bamboo was given recent consideration for use as reinforcement in
soil-cement pavement slabs in which the slabs behave inelastically even
under light loads"
============= end of copied material ==================

The rest of document appears to contain plenty of useful, practical,
factual info. like:

======= more copied material ===============

" When using whole culms, the top and bottom of the stems should be
alternated in every row and the nodes or collars, should be staggered.
This will insure a fairly uniform cross section of the bamboo throughout
the length of the member, and the wedging effect obtained at the nodes
will materially increase the bond between concrete and bamboo."

=========== end of more copied material ==========

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")