[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster + earthquake safe fire shelters

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 25 20:50:50 UTC 2013

Thanks Rob.  Point taken about mating a very strong tensile material with a
quite weak compressive material to form a(n) (un) balanced matrix.  Lighter
gauge steel would be a better balance, but would also be more susceptible to
failure by corrosion.  And then there's the cheese cutting concept under
load that you mention.  I didn't see that type of "cutting" in the PAKSBAB
seismic tests, where the specimens used nylon mesh in clay plaster.  It
seems that nylon has a similar cutting potential, but I also imagine less so
than steel.

Martin