[GSBN] Steel mesh in clay plaster + earthquake safe fire shelters

martin hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 25 16:25:01 UTC 2013

Classic Art ­ thank you.  Didn¹t know you were doing such testing.  Lot¹s of
good combinations.  Encouraging short term results, though in a relatively
dry climate.  Am interested to see when/if significant (performance
affecting) corrosion occurs.  I may not live that long for some of the
materials tested.  Great work.  (On the structural and fire fronts also.)

Martin

http://bookshop.europa.eu/en/corrosion-of-low-carbon-steel-in-clay-and-sea-sed
>>>  >> iments-pbCDNA10522/ contains several interesting quotes, which are
>>> somewhat
>>>  >> divergent from each other, and not identical to the conditions of
>>>  >> reinforcing
>>>  >> steel in clay plasters.  The authors were concerned about steel immersed
at
>>>  >> high temperatures (90 degrees C) in sea sediments.  While other sites
>>> have
>>>  >> suggested that more water increases the rates of corrosion, this
>>>  >> article finds
>>>  >> the reverse, which they attribute to the lack of dissolved oxygen in the
>>>  >> sediment zone they investigated.
>>>  >>
>>>  >> With no mention of the amount of water involved in the referenced
>>>  >> studies, the
>>>  >> authors say, "In literature, data can be found on corrosion of mild
>>> steel in
>>>  >> clay. Exposing ductile iron or carbon steel [H. Tas SCK/CEN Mol,
>>> Personal
>>>  >> communication] directly to clay at room temperature gives rise to
>>> general
>>>  >> corrosion rates ranging from 10 to 50 µm/yr."
>>>  >>
>>>  >> However, their tests and references show a much lower corrosion rate
>>>  >> of only 8
>>>  >> µm/yr in one study with steel in clay under unspecified conditions, and
>>> from
>>>  >> another study, 2-10 µm/yr at 25°C, in bentonite clay.
>>>  >>
>>>  >> "Tests in deaerated substitute seawater were conducted at Harwell at >>>
90°C
>>>  >> [G.P. Marsh et al. - Corrosion assessment of metal operpacks for
>>> radioactive
>>>  >> waste disposal - European Appi. Res. Rept. - Nucí. Sc. Technol., vol. 5,
pp.
>>>  >> 223-52 (1983)] which give, after a stabilization period of about 2.000 h
>>>  >> corrosion rate of about 8 µm/yr. Another series of tests was per­formed
in
>>>  >> which low carbon steel sample were embedded in bentonite saturated with
>>>  >> basic synthetic granite groundwater at 90, 50°C and at room
>>>  >> temperature [K.J.
>>>  >> Taylor, I.D. Blaid, C.C. Naish, G.P. Marsh - Corrosion stu­ dies on
>>>  >> Containment Materials for vitrified Heat Generating Nu­clear waste AERE
G -
>>>  >> 3217 (1984)]. After a stabilization period a corrosion rate ranging
>>> between
>>>  >> 20-37 µm/yr at 90, 9-32 µm/yr at 50 and 2-10 µm/yr at 25°C was
>>> apparent."
>>>  >>
>>>  >> Based on the references that I could find, the rate of corrosion for
>>>  >> steel in
>>>  >> clay is substantially less variable than for steel in concrete.  (I >>>
can't
>>>  >> think of another example where a property of clay is less variable than
an
>>>  >> industrial product.)  Steel deeply imbedded in excellent concrete, and
>>>  >> protected by a passivating layer, will have a corrosion rate that is a
>>> tenth
>>>  >> or less of that for steel in clay, according to the figures that I
>>> found.
>>>  >> Steel imbedded in an average Portland cement plaster with some cracks,
in
>>>  >> which the passivating layer is absent or compromised, might have a
>>> corrosion
>>>  >> rate fifty times higher than steel in a clay plaster.
>>>  >>
>>>  >> As with so many things in building, since testing reveals such a range
of
>>>  >> potential variability, it would be useful to test the materials under
>>> local
>>>  >> conditions.
>>>  >>
>>>  >> I hope this is of some help.
>>>  >>
>>>  >> Derek
>>>  >>
>>>  >> On Aug 24, 2013, at 4:39 PM, martin hammer wrote:
>>>  >>
I?ve