[GSBN] Square footage of straw-bale homes

Andrew Webb andrew at thegreenwebb.com
Thu May 12 15:03:25 UTC 2011

Architects design something like 5% of houses; it may be less.  My
impression from blogs, magazines and awards is that architecture that is
considered good design has nothing to do with size (perhaps with the
exception of Dubai).  The Australian Institute of Architects has a
handful of award categories, and one is Small Architecture.  The others
are Residential, Public, Urban Design and Sustainable Architecture, from
memory. Most projects I remember from university also had nothing to do
with (large) size; one project I remember was to design a single
self-contained room.

I don't think the education of architects is the major problem.  The
education of clients is.  The housing market is dominated by large
project home companies of various levels of so called prestige, which is
supported by mainstream press which is thinly veiled marketing of Large
and Excess.  I have often had questions from clients such as "we only
need two bedrooms, but should we have four for resale value?" or, "we
would be happy with a carport but I suppose we need a double garage for
resale?".  Typically these people have no intention of selling.  But, as
a house is a huge cost and a mortgage is a huge burden, they are scared
and believe, or at least question whether they should believe, what most
newspapers, magazines, TV lifestyle programs, and particularly real
estate agents tell them.  Compounding this, of course, is the
overarching growth fetish and consumerism of capitalist society in general.

I always try to design to a budget; almost every project is a struggle
to rein in the client to theirs.  I like what Bob Borson says on his
blog - from a list of desirable client traits,
"*Understand their budget: *this is not the same as knowing your budget.
It's sort of a glass half empty versus glass half full mentality -- but
with money. One has an empty "budget bag" that they think they can put
stuff in until it's full; the other has a bag with their budget in  it
and they take things out until the budget is expended. It might seem
like the same thing but it's not. The group putting stuff in the bag
will continually try and jam more stuff in, well beyond when the zipper
will close (just sit on it and then try...). The other, well, when you
take the last thing out, that's it, there's nothing left. Whenever we
have clients that stress quantity over quality, it's a harbinger of
things to come. It's not the clients job to know what things cost, but
when they keep increasing the square footage of the project, or continue
to add program requirements without ever thinking that these things have
costs associated with them, it's shows that they aren't thinking about
the very base fact that everything has a cost associated with it."

-Andrew