[GSBN] Square footage of straw-bale homes

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Thu May 12 12:21:38 UTC 2011

Fine Homebuilding magazine gives an interesting look into the, shall
we say, "diversity" of trends and outlooks in the US.  Every issue
contains several articles on building small and sustainably, while
the majority of the issue supports expansion and excess.

Obviously, those terms are my judgment.  Many of the authors see
themselves in "small is beautiful" camp.  I've been saddened by the
number of articles which say things along the lines of "we were
limited by a small budget (elsewhere revealed to be $250,000)" and
"since this was the second home of a retired couple, we could make it
quite small (2500 sq ft/232 sq m)".

I have wondered about the education of architects, and perhaps some
of the architects on this list can comment.  How does the mainstream
training approach  questions of building size and sustainability?
And designing to a budget?

I guess the optimistic view is that Fine Homebuilding, and a few
other, similar magazines, do have some articles pointing in the right
direction, and that quantity of such articles seems to be increasing.

Derek