[GSBN] Square footage of straw-bale homes

Andrew Webb andrew at thegreenwebb.com
Thu May 12 08:56:24 UTC 2011

Hi Joyce,

Prior to the GFC, one of the most common items in a client's brief for a
new house was 'bigger than average rooms'.  Those wanting straw bale
houses usually had average or smaller than average budgets.

Over the last couple of years that particular request has been missing
and is generally replaced with more specific requests as to their
intended use, such as 'big enough for a desk and double bed.'  One house
we are designing at the moment actually has the children sharing a
bedroom - that was inconceivable during the 'boom'; at least for anyone
who could afford to build a new house.  I still haven't got any of my
clients down to the 3.4 x 4.1m lounge room and single bathroom of my
house, but I do keep trying (for those who know me - I've moved into a
much nicer, old, small house).

I think there is a trend to smaller; it may swing back if and when the
economy improves again, but for now I'm optimistic about a change for
the smaller.

All the best,
Andrew