[GSBN] Question for you

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Tue Oct 19 08:21:25 UTC 2010

  Hello,

John Straube wrote:
> .... but the builder is the hard part.
Building is a risky buisness. It is a complex thing to do and non paying
clients or dry spells in between jobs make (sensible) buiders careful of
jumping on a fairy tale wagon. Like they say; if it sounds too good to
be true,... it probably is. This is true, but can also hinder big leaps
in progress.
I estimated that one way of influencing the regular building
professionals was to co-publish our french adaptation of Desing of SB
Buildings together with one of the 2 main regular french building
industry editors. In fact they (Eyrolles) only have their logo on the
cover; I did the work and payed the bills. I get a lot of positive
feedback on this 'little detail': when regular builders see that
Eyrolles(!!!) published a book on SB they automaticly believe that SB is
serious (this was mostly not the case before). This way the message has
much more impact (on the regular building pros) than when published by a
guy with a funny accent. In the process most outiders forget that I did
the book; but that's not really what matters (as long as it sells ;-)

I also have the impression that the war industry (chemical and ciment)
left over from the 2 world wars made sure that the clients found them
easily after most of the men with building experience were killed. And
just like the guildes in the midle ages and the maffia, they protect
their market any way they can get away with. Also agree with Chris
(though I had not looked at it in that way),

André - incognito - de Bouter