[GSBN] Question for you

MARK SCHUENEMAN huffnpuff at q.com
Mon Oct 18 15:31:24 UTC 2010

...still musing on Monday...

"A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

I'd have to second what Chris had to say, as well as all others. I would like to add two items that stand in the way; our need to build old school and quickly and on line dating have taken their toll in our area...

There is a group in Boulder, Boulder Green Builders Guild, founded by David Johnston, author of 4 books on green building (they are more focused on LEED and conventional 'techno' solutions to building efficiency, i.e. sips, double wall framing etc.;Building Green in a Black & White World (2000 – NAHB Press)
Green Remodeling – Changing the World One Room at a Time
Green From the Ground Up
Towards a Zero Energy Home
I approached David after a BGBG talk and asked if he'd considered straw bale. His response was that 'he can find any number of framing crews to build a conventional house but there was only a few SB builders and if they were busy, my clients would have to wait for them.' There HAVE been a few houses in the area that fell by the conventional wayside because of this truth. It's hard to keep crews together when building with straw hasn't taken off, per se, and able to keep several crews in work consistently. They will build a beautiful home only to have to find another job to feed the family when another doesn't fall right behind. When another SB home rolls in they're busy with their new job and can't risk loosing it to a part time SB home build.

There are areas in the state like Durango that have in the past kept several crews busy but with the downturn in the economy they've looked in other directions. So if you wish to be a SB builder or plasterer as a main profession, you have to be willing to travel. Months and years on the road make it difficult for a family man/woman. The most prolific builders in the area are single and able to absorb the travel. One of our most prolific builders just met a lady 'on line' and assume...another one bites the dust?? Although we are happy for him, unless she joins him on projects and doesn't have a baby, the travelling trowel and tool belt may end soon.

Another issue that contributes to a bad taste for SB building is when folks don't follow 'best practices'. Two instances most recently was a design that used parapet roof in the design because the client liked 'New Mexico style' buildings. The other was a two story wall on a house without an intermediary roof built to protect it and there was some water damage to the bottom of the wall. 'Duh' to both. That's SB 101 isn't it. We caught the parapet wall in time but...the latter just gave food to those who say, 'see, it doesn't work'.

The fact that the David's, Bruce's, Martins et.al. have taken care of the testing, codes and building department hang ups out of the equation (kind of) then it's up to the rest of us to do a great job building responsibly, educating and training others and promoting the good that's been done. Organizations like CASBA, COSBA, and the European and Canadian Straw bale groups and many individuals with thoughtful workshops and conferences help good promotion (not to mention the fact that those previously unexposed folks see what an intelligent and likeable group we are : ). Joyce and TLS, with help from you all, help promote in a good way. The GSBN is a great educator and resource for us to help each other educate and offer solutions.

Besides changing human nature I think we're doing the right stuff just need to continue more of the same, with patience. To Chris' point, 'Humans are good at doing things better, but lousy at doing better things' good promotion is key, and as he wrote in a TLS years ago, let them see us having fun building and that these homes are beautiful and they perform well. Every chance I get I let folks know that an average over the years of $230 USD propane for cooking, hot water and heating/cooling kept my home at a comfortable 70 degrees year round (correct orientation, a little firewood and working the curtains helps). At the COSBA conference a couple weeks ago 79 year old Olga, whose son Steve built her a SB home, said, 'I live in comfort and actually have some of my fixed income money left because of lower heating costs.' Lastly, until the economy comes back and lots of SB homes are in the works, we need to keep our single builders away from 'on line' dating (or marry young and within our ranks..maybe a 'singles' straw balers list? Joyce? TLS?).

Mark 'uh oh, just met someone' Schueneman
Colorado Straw Bale Association
303-444-6027 hm.
303-591-9841 cell