[GSBN] Fwd: temp & humidity swing reductions with earthen materials

John Straube jfstraube at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:07:24 UTC 2010

I have to chime in here. The experiments are interesting and useful, but they do not show that adobe or earth plasters have some magical properties.
The tests do not correct for the superior thermal insulating capacity of adobe or the very high reflectivity or lime plaster. These two factors may be sufficient to completely explain performance. Also, the airtightness/leakiness of the two test huts has not been reported, and this can change the results tremendously.
I am strong beleiver in these types of test hut studies, but they take some hard work to be able to compare and thus learn things from. This study does not do enough to allow us to properly compare.
We can say, a CMU hut will underform an adobe hut. But we knew this already just from R-value. An 8" CMU will have an R-value of under 2, around 1.8, whereas an 8" adobe is likely closer to R2.5.  That is a 25% difference. At these low R-values, even small changes make a big difference. I also know I would not want either one without additional insulation in most  climates.