[GSBN] prefab strawbale

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet.nl
Fri Nov 6 12:44:55 UTC 2009

Chris, Tom, Caroline, and many other burning bal heads,

I would also like to join in the fray and lay down a few straws.

I fully agree with what Chris said in his lengthy reply to Flaming
Tom's rant regarding pre-fab SB.

> Well, as somebody who is committed to both owner-built SB
> and pre-fab, I'd like to suggest that the two are not
> mutually exclusive. In fact, they can exist in perfect
> peace and harmony! My reasons for such belief follow...

I am sure that some of my reasons for using pre-fab are the same as
Chris's.
- The main reason is that by using pre-fab we are able to build a
weather tight house in about 1 week. This means in our climate, the
removal of the major risk element to SB construction, wet bales.
- Besides this it saves vast sums of money compared to on-site
building. Based on my experience at least 30%. The amount saved
depends on the level of pre-fab used.
- Large scale Pre-fab is definitely not something for 1 time owner
builders, setting up the whole pre-fab proces for 1 project could
actually lead to higher costs.
- I am quite a fan of Chris's method because it makes pre-fab quite
accessible maybe even for 1 time projects. I have not used it myself
yet but would like to in the future.
- I am sure that pre-fab SB opens the way to a much bigger market then
the current On-site SB building vernacular.
- Pre-fab SB does not preclude owner involvement but allows the owners
to do the parts that they tend to enjoy the most plastering and
finish. Although I also like to employ them during the rough build
erection. (especially the boys enjoy working with the heavy metal boys
toys) For most this also means the risks of self building becomes much
more manageable not involving huge time overruns or even abandonment
before completion.

But I must add this nothing competes with the earthy charm of
simplicity offered by a load bearing site build round wood SB house.
Alas this charm is reserved for the happy few who are offered this
choice by the circumstances of their location. To most this is not the
case and we might have to settle for SB high rise in the inner city.
Personally given the choice of pre-fab SB high rise in the city or no
SB option at all I know what I would chose.

Basking in the reclaimed swamp at the mouth of the Rhine on a pre-fab
platform (pallet)
Rene Dalmeijer