[GSBN] Strawbale houses can fly!

BuildersWithoutBorders mail at builderswithoutborders.org
Thu Mar 19 00:50:33 UTC 2009

Hi All -
Thanks for all the useful input on ground source heat systems.
I have a short strawbale fire story I will post soon.

Meanwhile....there's a new installment of the BWB strawbale ecohouse
story (that was built last May for an exhibition on sustainability at
the US Botanic Garden, in the shadow of the US Capitol).

They liked it, they really liked it, and kept it around an extra 4
1/2 months.  When we visited in January for the Inauguration, we were
told they (the USBG) wished they had known how beautiful it would
turn out, because they would have tried to figure out how to keep it.
(It literally takes an act of congress to build something new on the
National Mall.....)

Last week with the help of a big crane, the 12x16 loadbearing
strawbale cottage, minus the roof, (weight 14,500 pounds), was lifted
up and set down onto a trailer, where it was transported about 25
miles to its new home in Maryland.  I invite you to visit
:   http://www.breathworkstudio.blogspot.com/  to see some photos and
video of the move (by Eric Hempstead, a member of our building team).

For photos of the construction process and the finished building in
its original setting, visit www.builderswithoutborders.org  and
http://picasaweb.google.com/CatherineWanek

happy solstice,
Catherine Wanek