[GSBN] ground source heat pumps

David Elfstrom listbox at elfstrom.com
Wed Mar 18 18:41:47 UTC 2009

I agree with John. In Ontario new construction, if the home is built
with energy efficiency in mind, economics favor a low-temperature air
source heat pump over geo, especially in urban areas. However once the
heating capacity moves above what can be supplied by currently available
low temp air source heat pumps (up to a very nominal 6 tons, actual
output less), economics favors the ground source heat pump.

In Canada the grant money available for retrofits distorts the analysis,
often tipping towards GSHP as the better option.

Also, the savings for GSHP generally favor a higher capacity system for
a home with less insulation, making it very attractive for retrofits
that have done what they can do in terms of low-hanging fruit (ie: air
sealing and insulation in available areas without gutting the home)

For straw bale specifically, I would look at air source heat pumps first.

David

--
David Elfstrom, P.Eng, LEED® AP
President & Sustainability Engineer

Elfstrom Engineering Professional Corporation
#421-437 Roncesvalles Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M6R 3B9
mobile 647-235-8872
fax 647-436-7832
david at elfstromengineering.com
www.elfstromengineering.com