[GSBN] ground source heat pumps

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Mar 18 18:33:22 UTC 2009

“A ground-source heat pump can only be considered acceptable as an
alternative to conventional heating systems from an environmental point
of view if it has a coefficient of performance of over 4, gets its
electricity from a CO2 free source and uses a climate-friendly
refrigerant."

I think there is a big risk in any analysis that compares an actual
engineered and available option to an ethereal, undelineated, "perfect"
alternative.  For anyone trying to decide on a heating/cooling unit,
there are few CO2-free choices.  Dismissing heat pumps at that stage in
the design process would frequently lead to choosing an alternative
which released more CO2.

Far better, as others have mentioned, to intervene earlier in the
design process.  To build a better envelope, with better solar systems
and orientation, so that the need for a heating/cooling unit is reduced
or eliminated.  In any case, a heat pump should be compared to the real
alternatives, and a choice made by looking at the actual numbers
involved.  Heat pumps will be more appropriate in some situations than
in others.  Relatively few, perhaps, but then almost all of building is
site specific.

While powering a heat pump for renewable sources is possible, it is
often impractical to do so on the residential scale.  Heat pumps draw a
fairly large amount of current, and the greatest heating load is at
night and in the early morning, when both solar and winds sources are
lower.  On the other hand, the largest cooling needs are in the
afternoon, when solar energy is close to maximum.

Derelict

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: derek at unm.edu

--On Wednesday, March 18, 2009 5:36 PM +0000 Tom Woolley