[GSBN] ground source heat pumps

Tom Woolley tom.woolley at btconnect.com
Wed Mar 18 17:36:17 UTC 2009

Dear Catherine

Ireland is the geothermal capital of Europe. It has become a middle
class status symbol .

Richard Douthwaite , a highly respected green economist wrote
(extract from a much longer piece)

"I began to ask myself that question when I came across a document on
the website of a small German electricity company which concluded: “A
ground-source heat pump can only be considered acceptable as an
alternative to conventional heating systems from an environmental
point of view if it has a coefficient of performance of over 4, gets
its electricity from a CO2 free source and uses a climate-friendly
refrigerant. As most current heat pumps do not meet these criteria,
we advise against their use.” ‘
Richard Douthwaite , Construct Ireland Issue 19

http://www.constructireland.ie/
richard at douthwaite.net

best wishes

Tom Woolley

On 18 Mar 2009, at 17:16, BuildersWithoutBorders wrote:

> Dear colleagues -
>
> Can someone shed some light on so-called geothermal heating
> systems, and their cost-effectiveness for a typical home?
>
> I imagine the pay-back in energy saved has something to do with how
> many heating degree days in a specific climate.  But then, I
> understand they can also be reversed for cooling.
>
> This seems like an expensive technology that is dependent on
> electrical service... can it be powered by solar/
>
> Thanks for any insight offered.
>

> Sincerely,
> Catherine Wanek
> Co-director