[GSBN] Embodied Energy - SB vs Stick-built

Jim Carfrae jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 10:14:40 UTC 2009

Hello All

In a conventional build, the heating and cooling energy does outway the embodied energy used in construction, but the balance is different in a straw bale (or any low energy) building. I would like to quote from Carol Atkinson's MSc Thesis - (hope you don't mind Carol) which I think puts the relationship between energy use and embodied energy in perspective

The embodied energy in the average house is often quoted at 100,000 kWh. If the
annual energy demand of that house is 20,000 kWh, the energy embodied in
construction soon becomes insignificant. However, if energy in use could be reduced
to 5,000 kWh per annum in a more efficient house, the embodied energy then
becomes a major part of the building’s lifetime energy consumption (Borer, 2005
page 97). If 50,000 kWh could be saved on the construction of this more efficient
home it would provide the energy to run the building for an additional 10 years,
significantly reducing carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in the process.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Carfrae
PhD Research Student