[GSBN] Embodied Energy - SB vs Stick-built

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Fri Feb 20 08:28:57 UTC 2009

I understand that the heating/cooling energy of a building far outways
the energy used to build it. Yet, the amount of energy used for the
build itself that can be saved by making well informed choices is far
from negliable. Also, the building might be taken down well before we
thought it would be. The point being that we are only sure about the
savings accomplished during the build. Future savings are much less certain.

When showing CO2 calculations in an objective way one should mention the
amount of CO2 'spent' for the build seperate from that 'temporarily
stored'. I found it interesting to read that we can turn wood into coal
and that this preseves a certain amount of CO2. But I doubt very much
that this will happen with wood from old buildings. Reducing this
complexity to just 1 number is not going to help decission makers to
make a well informed choice. I'm not suggesting that this is what Andrew
is trying to do. I'm just getting rid of my frustration on what I see
happening in 'green marketing'. The whole CO2 discussion is complex and
social aspects (an other benifit of goin' local) should also be part of
the decission making process.
Yes, the technical aspects of life are complicated. And I'd probably get
very bored if they weren't.

André - filled up with gaz - de Bouter
France