[GSBN] Lime plaster and expansion joints

martin oehlmann moehlmann at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 10 17:56:51 UTC 2009

....as they are differences between the different types of lime locally and
differences in humidity/tempereature during the drying process we might not
be able to find a general statement....

that mix which is used here in Brittany since about 15 years: 1/6 hydraulic
lime, 1/6 airlime and 2/3 sand for the first layer and for the second and
third layer just 1/3 airlime [Ca(OH)2 + CO2 you get CaCO3 + H2O] and 2/3
sand works generally well except in that really rough climate at the coast.
Again its true the drying process is crucial and the walls just receive
there final stage of protection after up to 12 month.... At the coast
climate you need additional woodden cladding to keep the walls dampopen.

The house in Plozevet is highly exposed to storms and metal bracing +
plastic mash works fine, no cracks except at one detailing fault: the
bracing had been done crosswise, one cross and than another, like XX. In the
middle or between the X|X I got a crack-line, but just a few people notice.
The answer would be either a dillitation or a different bracing.

Yesterdays storm just has passed and all is very, very well.

Greetings to all of you,

Martin Oehlmann