[GSBN] Lime plaster and expansion joints

Bruce King ecobruce at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 10 18:17:20 UTC 2009

Laura, Bill, everyone, greetings

Laura's idea of somehow collecting, digesting and publishing our
collective experience is a good one.  And it is exactly what we did,
however imperfectly, before publishing "Design of Straw Bale
Buildings".  That is, in addition to all the fresh testing we had
done, we went through all the archives and odd little notes and memos
hiding in the hard drive, and especially contacted lots of people
(mainly y'all) with follow up questions.  A thoroughly pleasant
experience, but not a simple or easy one.

If I could raise the money, I'd gladly do it again, or regularly.
Which swings us back around to Mark Piepkorn's lingering proposal for
a journal of natural building . . . which reminds me that that is
pretty much what The Last Straw has become under Joyce's wonderful and
persistent guidance.  Thank you, Joyce, thank you.

There's always more that we could do, individually or collectively,
but I'm pretty thrilled with what we've already got -- a lot of
generous, smart, energetic people (that would be you) who are kind
enough to contribute to list serves like this, and to print in TLS &
elsewhere.  Natural building is enjoying a true renaissance, albeit
still mostly off most people's radar, that will surely prove to be a
big part of figuring out how to get by when the oil runs out.  I
suppose my request of all of us is simply to keep and report careful
records of what we do -- what worked, and especially what didn't
work.  That's how we learn.  If you have a spectacular success or
failure, but no record or memory of what you did, then there is no
lesson learned, it didn't even happen.  By writing and saving these
email notes we might save each other from repeating mistakes, or
reinventing wheels.  It is right here that the Internet is reeeeeeally
valuable.

Thanks,

Bruce "a repeating mistake" King
(415) 987-7271