[GSBN] Fire Tests for Clay-Hemp or Light-Straw-Clay

Feile Butler feile at mudandwood.com
Tue Oct 16 10:22:41 UTC 2018

Hi

I am consulting on a round-pole/cob-cordwood theatre which was
constructed in a piecemeal fashion over the past 15 years by
permaculture students with no regard for building regulations. It is now
used as the base for the drama students in the same college and also as
an occasional public theatre. The local authority has recently taken an
interest in it and closed it down until has been made compliant.

We are trying to remain true to its ethos as an all-natural building,
using locally-sourced, natural building materials as much as
practicable. The building needs thermal upgrades as well as fire
upgrades. There are numerous awkward gaps that need fire-stopping where
the complicated reciprocal roof timbers land on the cob-cordwood walls.
Therefore, we are proposing using either clay-hemp or light-straw-clay
to clad the walls and act as a fire stop, providing both thermal and
fire upgrades in one hit.

The fire officer has requested a fire test for whichever of these
materials we go for.

Is anyone aware of any official English language fire tests for either
or both of these materials? We need to meet 60 minutes fire resistance.

Kind Regards

*Féile Butler*
B.Arch MRIAI Conservation Grade III
Executive Board Member of Earth Building UK and Ireland (EBUKI)

*Mud and Wood / Roots Architecture*
Grange Beg, Skreen, Co. Sligo

*T:*  +353 (0) 71 930 0488
*M:* +353 (0) 86 806 8382