[GSBN] Prefabricated and/or Modular Natural Building Systems

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Wed Jun 27 21:20:06 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have found this discussion to be packed with important ideas and
directions for the future of straw bale construction and responsible
building in general. And I can also see the relevance of everybody's
point of view.

In my own practice, I have always tried to keep my material and labour
sources as close to home as possible. I completely understand Dirk's
interest in ensuring that this is embedded in his practice. At the same
time, there are sometimes materials, products or skills that currently
don't exist in the local market, and I think it does make sense to
import these things, especially if the imports are products and/or
skills that could come to exist in my local market, and if my importing
them will help to build the case for developing them locally.

Prefab straw bale, in all the various forms it is taking around the
world, is a great case in point. While it probably doesn't make sense
for panels to originate in Lithuania and be shipped all around Europe
forever, the fact that Ecococon has developed an excellent product that
is stirring up interest and projects in many countries is a really
important development. If interest grows enough, then it seems likely
that manufacturing will begin to be set up elsewhere to serve regional
markets. But this doesn't happen overnight, and having some patience and
openness while this development grows is crucial for the spread of the
idea. It certainly doesn't seem to me that anybody in this discussion
has given up their ideals by using Ecococon panels. In fact, we can
probably put numbers to the impacts of shipping the panels versus
building with worse materials that were obtained locally. I'm sure it's
not a disaster for the planet to have these bale panels moving around
Europe, and it may be the start of something that we've all been hoping
for: more widespread use of the material and the ideals behind the
material.

We wouldn't be at the point where Dirk is able to build 20-unit houses
or Lars building 2-story schools if we all approached the issue of
better buildings in the exact same way. This whole GSBN community, and
many people beyond it, have tried things out, reported back on the
results and adjusted approaches in a continuous process of
experimenting, sharing and learning. I would hope that we can continue
to find out more about both of these approaches, and that they also
splinter/grow into even more approaches. I would be concerned if anybody
on this list began advocating for putting toxic glues into straw walls,
or coating them with petrochemical sealant crap, or using bad labour
practices. However, all I see in this debate is two approaches that
share a whole lot of basic DNA. I want to know lots more about both
approaches, because I see a lot of value in each of them. Okay, I'll
admit it, I want to "steal" the best of both ways of building.

I definitely don't want to see us get so locked into any one particular
approach that we stop seeing the value in the positive work of others.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Magwood