[GSBN] Fire Case Studies

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Thu Jun 14 20:02:24 UTC 2018

I can't and won't equivocate around your memory, Rob; I'm sure that it's
just fine!
I can vouch for all the contents of your description of the changes in
the flash point of the cellulose.

John Gulland, (the author of Wood Heat dot org), has shared this
similar/same information with mea long while ago.
We had talked about it in the context of standard wood frame
construction.  Many builders, who lack combustion engineering, often get
it wrong. That's most of us carpenters.

First the idea that plasters all act as a fireproofing technique,
instead of offering fire resistance
Second the idea that standard gyprock is in some way inflammable,
instead of fitting into the class of flammables. We've known this for a
long time now.

I have participated in a kitchen demolition where the old cookstove had
stood in that same place for a long time.
Likewise,  within the wall frame behind the stove, the spruce two by
fours had stood there even longer.
As was the rule of the day, the stud cavities were irregularly filled
with fiberglass batts, with brown paper backing, lightly coated with
asphalt, to bear witness for the need of a vapour barrieron this wall.

The fire was contained to the back kitchen, and then the fire department
managed to put it out. The Forensic investigator from the insurance
company was puzzled, saying that the stove had been too close for
acceptable fire clearance for decades.
It had survived all that time, and just now created a fire. Why did it
take so long?

This is my third reason to back you up. It's about the combination of
repeated periods of high heat, baking the wood resinsout of the 2x4's,
over a long time period that is responsible for lowering the flash
point. In this case, wood frame cellulose, but in any case of cellulose,
such as dense packed cellulose walls, or, well plastered straw walls,
there is the need for caution.
For builder's, the need for caution, if the chimney or stove
specifications are not honoured. Heat shield behind the stove can help.
For designers, the need to be diligent with accurate dimensions, in
creating the chimney locations to provide adequate fire clearances.
We know this stuff now, and we can all feel the resulting karhma, and
the huge, Huge decrease in house fires. We can all feel good about
continually learning and applying knowledge.

Frank Tettemer