[GSBN] Fire case studies

Martin Hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Mon May 28 23:04:13 UTC 2018

Hi Chris and all,

The recent devastating wildfires in California (last Fall) yielded valuable
information about the performance of straw bale buildings in wildfires.
Architect, GSBN member and CASBA director David Arkin has been especially
involved in documenting this and getting this information out to others.

I¹ve attached two documents.

One, a recent special report from Fine Home Building about generally how to
build to survive wildfires, with the last page about a "straw-bale survival
story" (SB house designed by Arkin-Tilt Architects).
The second, case studies of straw bale houses in the northern California
fires. This document is posted on CASBA¹s website and downloadable at:
https://www.strawbuilding.org/resources/Documents/Fire-ResistiveStrawbaleWal
ls.pdf

Also well worth referring to is the chapter on Fire authored by Bob Theis
and Bruce King in Design of Straw Bale Buildings, and the various fire tests
over the years in the US, Germany, the UK and elsewhere.

Martin Hammer

On 5/28/18, 8:57 AM, "Gsbn on behalf of Chris Magwood"
<gsbn-bounces at sustainablesources.com on behalf of chris at endeavourcentre.org>