[GSBN] Fire case studies

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Mon May 28 21:30:40 UTC 2018

Here is a fire report, from 2012

Hi Chris,

Here's one you've probably seen or heard tell of. This fire was in
November of 2012, well after we had completed all our work,
and the wood-burning-appliance chimney installers were about to botch
theirs. They forgot to shield the chimney in the attic area.
The first firing of the new wood stove was the only firing of the new
wood stove.

As you can interpret from this photo, the majority of the roof trusses
burned through out the entire attic, and the ceiling with 2 feet of
cellulose eventually collapsed onto the upper floor. No bales were
burnt, but all plaster and fiberglass windows were smoke-blackened on
the entire inside of the house. Black-black.

The take-away from all this is that the fire insurance company, would
not support a rebuild, due to their fears of never ending smoke smells.
They had a forensic engineer swear by this.
So the entire building was torn down and demolished to the foundation.
    wahh.

Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building & Design
Killaloe, Ontario