[GSBN] Where are we at? - From your corner of the world. + Your favorite research / presentation on moisture transport

Ace McArleton ace at newframeworks.com
Tue May 15 14:20:59 UTC 2018

Hi Caroline,

Here is a link to a very small research study
<https://www.newframeworks.com/products-resources/> we did on 7 straw bale
buildings in the US Northeast region in 2010 (available as a free download
on our website). And a link to our presentation that explains the data
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x39k9yljwb30xm/BBD13.ppt?dl=0> & talks about
high performance strategies (including understanding moisture, air
tightness, etc) for straw bale buildings in our region.

And here is a link to a copy of a "State of the Art"
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1e-gt1bsH164-l59S3xCAUH_JCLJR2l0UhvR2UJ7_3fg/edit?usp=sharing>
presentation that myself and my business partners Jacob Deva Racusin and
Ben Graham gave in 2017 at the Northeastern Sustainable Energy
Association's Building Energy conference.

Our real excitement these days is following the work of many in the
Embodied Carbon Network - Kate Simonen and many others, our colleague and
friend Chris Magwood's research and the work of Bruce King and all who
contributed to *The New Carbon Architecture*, and many others - working on
shifting the conversation from an industry focus on operational carbon to
(or along with) embodied carbon. Here is a link to a presentation that
Jacob Deva Racusin and Chris Magwood and I gave this year at several
conferences on embodied carbon and carbon storage in buildings
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1gRC0fOL7H1HNitpBNle_jvdx3b_GgGaZ5azJ9MeM8KI/edit?usp=sharing>
as a necessary and immediate shift in our thinking as practitioners in the
built environment. I also wrote an article you can find here
<http://www.greenenergytimes.org/2017/06/23/sequestering-carbon-in-buildings/>
on
Carbon Storage in buildings - which is very strong with straw bale
buildings as you likely are aware.

So many great things to look forward to and work on! I wish you the best of
luck with your talk.

All the best,

Ace

Ace McArleton - *pronouns he/him*
Managing Partner
New Frameworks
1 Mill Street, Suite 161, Burlington VT 05401
802 917 4059
www.newframeworks.com
info at newframeworks.com

Co-author of:
The Natural Building Companion:  A Comprehensive Guide to Integrative
Design and Construction
<https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/the-natural-building-companion/>

Instructor
Yestermorrow Design/Build School