[GSBN] using loose straw insulation in roof

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 25 15:03:03 UTC 2017

The best material data I have collected from around the world only goes down to about
4 pounds per cubic foot (64 kg/m3) and, as a material, the R-value is not more than 10% different than at 8 and 12 pcf.

However, when you build walls, gaps can form between the plaster and bale and between bales and posts etc. which results in air movement that reduces R-value in the field.  Low density can make this more of a problem as can very stiff high density bales. Can be overcome by good workmanship, stuffing straw into voids, using good plastering techniques etc.

But this does not mean I would recommend even 4 pcf in an attic without coating it with clay