[GSBN] Clay paints/sealers for Multiple Chemical Sensitivy

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Wed Sep 13 01:17:11 UTC 2017

Hi, Tony,

I agree with Chris, that introducing new fiberglass seems risky for someone with chemical sensitivities.  I’d suggest seeing if there is a way to pin down what she is reacting to.  15-year-old plywood, OSB, and drywall have given up the majority of their gases.  They might still be causing the problem, but might there be another source for the problem?  Ventilation ducts?  Something in the ceiling/roof?  Gases coming up through the soil or floor?

I work with shellac a lot, and it can be a superb sealer.  The big question mark is the solvent.  Denatured alcohol is normally used, and the “denatured” part is the addition of poison to the mix.  Usually methanol is added, but many other toxic and cheap chemicals are frequently part of the formula, and often not fully listed, since they are proprietary and our disclosure laws are very weak.  So-called citrus solvents may or may not be safer.  Unless you can be very sure about the solvents used, I would be nervous about shellac products.  Clay paints from a reputable company seem like a safer way to go.

Derek

Derek Roff
derek at unm.edu<mailto:derek at unm.edu>