[GSBN] Clay paints/sealers for Multiple Chemical Sensitivy

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Tue Sep 12 23:12:58 UTC 2017

Hi Tony,

If she is chemically sensitive, I wouldn't recommend using fiberglass.

AFM Safecoat makes a sealant for holding back VOCs from materials like
plywood:
http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products/stains-sealers/safecoat-safe-seal.
We've used it for chemically sensitive clients where we can't get rid of
the material and it seems to work well.

I haven't put clay paint directly over the AFM sealant before, but the
companies we use for clay or lime paints (Kreidezeit and Auro) make
primers that are full disclosure ingredients and would allow their
paints to be used.

Chris

On 2017-09-12 5:43 PM, Anthony Novelli wrote:
> Greetings old friends,
>
> I am probably ignoring list etiquette by not sifting through the
> archives, but I have a workmate who is rapidly trying to remodel a
> space for his daughter who is chemically sensitive and reacting to her
> current living space. He was directed toward clay paints, though since
> part of the space is enclosed with 10-15 year old OSB and plywood, I
> suggested he might also consider sealing that and the 5/8'" drywall
> with fiberglass inside before covering it.
>
> We are within driving range of retailers like Organic Grace in
> Garberville where both paints and sealers are available, though budget
> is a concern. Simple clay paint recipes might be useful.
>
> Also he mentioned something I think he was told at a Kelly Moore shop
> where they have an alcohol-based sealer like a shellac that off-gasses
> heavily for a very short period of time, but is then safe.
>
> Any input?
> Thanks in advance, and hi, howdy and hugs all round.
>
> Tony Novelli

Chris Magwood
Director, Endeavour Centre
www.endeavourcentre.org