[GSBN] Idaho Structural Engineer

Martin Hammer mfhammer at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 7 16:38:05 UTC 2017

Hi Mark,

If you can¹t find a suitable engineer licensed in ID, maybe it¹s not
difficult (or expensive) for an out-of-state engineer to obtain a reciprocal
license? If so my first thought is Jeff Ruppert (on this list) in Colorado
or a number of California engineers (including some on this list).

Another possibility is for an out-of-state engineer to do the structural
design/calcs and have Lindsey Love stamp/sign the structural design.
Assuming both parties are comfortable with that and assuming she¹s a
licensed architect in Idaho. I don¹t know of a jurisdiction that wouldn¹t
accept a structural design from a licensed architect for a single family
dwelling two stories or less (still going through the normal plan check).

A third possibility is to have an out-of-state engineer familiar with SB
consult with a licensed Idaho engineer who isn¹t, but whom Lindsey trusts.

Also, I don¹t know if the State of Idaho or the local jurisdiction have
adopted Appendix S from the 2015 IRC. But Appendix S clearly allows
load-bearing with specific capacities for different wall assemblies (mostly
a function of plaster type) and detailing requirements. Even if Appendix S
hasn¹t been adopted it could still be used to justify a load-bearing design.

I hope that helps . . .

Martin

Martin Hammer, Architect
1348 Hopkins St.