[GSBN] Maximum Density for straw insulation

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Tue Oct 4 21:30:28 UTC 2016

Greetings all,

My experience when people are talking about very dense bales it “export Bales” they are talking about.

These are highly compressed some ending up as small as 450mm x 350mm x 200mm with a weight of 12kg.

Giving a total m3  weight of around 380kg. and strapped with steel or polly straps.

These bales will perform more like timber ,  perhaps a lower R value.

But due to their weight  will have increased mass as well as thermal mass.

As 3 or more  standard small square bales are compressed into the space of one,

They become a 2 person lift, along with the additional overall Wall weight this has an impact on footing design.

Garden mulch bales less than  100 kg / m3  may well have a reduced R value , along with other issued if used in construction.

Construction grade bales around the 115 /120 kg per m3  will achieve great performance , as shown by any existing R value testing.

Export grade bales of over 350 ( even 200 kg ) per m3  may not ( I suggest will not) show any increased R value , but only add to construction costs.

While the abo does not add any information about testing the idea, to me it does add to the greater discussion of

R5-6  as a standard ( construction grade) bale  produced on farm, as to making more work / inputs into product ( bales ) for perceived minor gain.

Regards Lance Kairl

House of Bales

Ausbale member.