[GSBN] Libraries can still burn

Bill Christensen lists at sustainablesources.com
Fri Jul 8 20:31:34 UTC 2016

I echo everything Derek said.  Hard drives can and do die.  Laptops get
lost and stolen.

For websites built in WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and similar content
management systems (CMSs) there are usually tools available to do
automatic backups of both the files and the database.  Make sure those
are in place, and are backing up to one or more separate locations other
than just to the web server where your site lives.

Also it is absolutely critical these days to keep your CMS and all its
themes and plugins up to date.  A majority of the updates include at
least some fixes for security issues which have been discovered.  Once
those security issues are known on the internet, hackers immediately
start looking for vulnerable sites.

We've seen so much hacking activity in the past year that we've started
offering monitoring/updating services for WordPress sites.  Prevention
is so much easier than rebuilding!

Bill Christensen
http://SustainableSources.com
http://LinkedIn.com/in/billc108