[GSBN] Libraries can still burn

Bill Christensen lists at sustainablesources.com
Fri Jul 8 02:38:38 UTC 2016

Bruce,

Sorry to hear!

Fortunately, you have actually been backed up, at least in part, by
Archive.org.   A very useful resource, which has helped us recover a
number of "poofed" sites as well as in a lawsuit to prove that the
defendant (our client) had NOT changed the wording on their site after
the fact.

See:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160610122740/http://ecobuildnetwork.org/

http://web.archive.org/web/20160306144204/http://buildwelllibrary.org/

http://web.archive.org/web/20160308161742/http://greenbuildingpress.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/20160309074104/http://bruce-king.com/

They don't do as well with database-driven sites, but luckily your sites
structure allowed them to grab all the pages I looked for. You may need
to restore attached documents.

Let me know if you need some assistance.  I'm currently between
contracts and might be able to give a hand.

On 7/7/16 4:54 PM, Bruce EBNet wrote:

> Dear GSBNers —
>
> Some of you know that the ancient library of Alexandria — the greatest
> collection of knowledge ever, at that time — was burned, with a loss
> of everything in it.
>
> In today’s world it can happen even faster, as when a hacker
> commandeers your website and then you find that your host wasn’t
> actually backing up and then . . . poof!  Gone.
>
> So it has gone with the BuildWell Source, the library we have been
> slowly raising online so that y’all could have easy access to
> technical and other information when you need it.  About 150 people,
> like many of you, have used it and contributed useful stuff for
> everyone’s benefit, and we thank you.  And we’re very sorry, it has
> gone Poof.
>
> We are rebuilding that site as fast as we can, but it will take a
> while.  (Ditto Ecological Building Network, bruce-king.com
> <http://bruce-king.com> and Green Building Press.)  I’ll let you know
> when it’s back up, and hopefully we can together build an even better
> resource to serve the growth and effective practice of natural building.
>
> A major bummer, for sure, but in the end a “first world problem” — no
> one is getting shot or starved or abused.
>
> I feel very grateful to be able to work with y’all.
>
> Bruce “Poof the magic dragon” King
> Ecological Building Network
> (415) 987-7271
> bruce at bruce-king.com <mailto:bruce at bruce-king.com>