[GSBN] Prefab hoe-down

Graeme North graeme at ecodesign.co.nz
Thu Feb 25 22:09:57 UTC 2016

an interesting discussion and one that goes to the heart of many matters that I am far too busy to really com net on here -

but there are really two issues here - or three - as I see it.

One is getting better  - natural - materials into mainstream construction with all the attendant advantages that we all on this list perceive.
The second is that making prefab panels that are just as reliant on off-site factories, are as remote, or are as expensive as conventional materials is not all that advantageous.
The third is getting architects to understand and design for these materials -there are many stories of  daftness and inappropriate design,  - and there is what I agree is a very sad comment  "I wanted a bale house but I got a house with bales in the walls."

And the fourth is empowering and encouraging owner builders.  This is were we get warmth that is not measured by a thermometer.

OH - A lovely little bird ( a fantail) has just flown into my office and is singing its wee heart out for me as it catches flies.

See some of yo al at ISBC

Graeme