[GSBN] Insurance

David Arkin david at arkintilt.com
Fri May 16 20:35:58 UTC 2014

Hi All:

Here's what one of our straw bale homeowners in Santa Cruz, CA reports:

On Aug 22, 2012, at 4:46 PM, [homeowner] wrote:
> We have a Travelers insurance policy through Geico.  I double checked and they know the house is straw-bale and did the inspection. He said he can't remember having denied any homes because of straw-bale construction.  Insurance is $1,286/ year for 655k dwelling, 65k other structures, 458k personal property, 300k liability, 1k deductible.

Good luck,

David

*  *  *  *  *
David Arkin, AIA, Director
California Straw Building Association
www.strawbuilding.org

CASBA Info E-mail
info at strawbuilding.org

On May 16, 2014, at 12:36 PM, martin hammer <mfhammer at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I think it was a good idea to also include the ASTM E-119 fire test results.  You might also consider referring people to the SB code supporting documentation page on EBNet’s website:
>
> http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/index.php/projects/straw-bale-code-supporting-documents
>
> It contains many key testing and research reports, including the fire tests.
>
> That’s troubling, that the insurance companies listed on the SB registry are declining to insure SB buildings.  It makes me think of informing the national insurance companies of ICC’s approval of straw bale construction (and light straw-clay) for one and two family residences.  To start with that, and see where it leads as a means of changing their policy.  Will consider doing this.
>
> Martin
>

> On 5/11/14 12:48 PM, "Mark Jensen" <markj at redfeather.org> wrote:
>
>> Martin, It seems to be the latter. I have sent copies of the appendix PDF and ASTM E-119 test results. I did find the Farmers Bureau will insure this home and at a reasonable rate. But I tried many of the national insurance companies listed on the straw bale registry to little success.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>>

>> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM, martin hammer <mfhammer at pacbell.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Does “no market” mean they don’t see any SB homes come across their desk, or is that a euphemism for a policy to not insure because they view SB homes as risky structures.
>>>
>>> If it’s the former, why should that matter?  As soon as one SB home is on their desk, that’s a market and a customer.
>>>
>>> If it’s the latter, I wonder if telling and showing them that a Strawbale Construction appendix was approved for the 2015 International Residential Code could change the policy.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> Martin Hammer

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

Please Support my 2014 CA Climate Ride (bicycle ride from San Francisco to Sacramento, May 17-20, with a fundraising goal of $5,000 to support Straw-Bale outreach)
http://bike.climateride.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=2585
Thank you!

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830 ext. 2#
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
— A. J. Muste