[GSBN] The Reasoning For Hessien

Ian Redfern ian at adobesouth.co.nz
Sun Apr 20 23:16:39 UTC 2014

Good morning Sarah, Sven, Derek  & All,

I agree with Derek's summary  and have "another" piece of physics and
chemistry to add  :

Lime plasters (using fully hydrated quick lime) and of a high calcium
content with low or no clay contaminants  MUST HAVE  free water in the mix,
which acts like a catalyst,  to transfer the atmospheric carbon dioxide
(CO2) into the plaster matrix which reacts with the calcium hydroxide  to
create the calcium carbonate we seek as the durable white stuff we all love
!    This free water must be at the free (outer) surface ! ! ! ! ! !
ALSO
The apparent surface temperature is critical for this reaction to occur and
prevent the surface not to dry and/or go slimy as the plaster freezes and
skins over ­ one good measure is to consider the lime skin as akin to ones
skin where the hypothermic effect of wind shearing over the surface causes
excessive evaporation and under cooling  =   not a good scenario in either
terms  a) for the surface drying and loss of catalyst free water  =  kills
the surface and inhibits further reaction within the plaster layer     b)
reduces the skin temperature to below the "freeze" temperature (around 8 ­
10 c) which again kills the surface  =  dead and crumbly plasters that do
not perform in your exposed environment !

Another consideration is the vertical chimney effect these high winds will
have on your proposal

Regarding key of plaster onto a strong substrate ­ I refer you to the
published works by Holmes & Wingate  or Schofield  who have historical
techniques to mechanically fix lime plasters ( 12 + thick) to solid walls

Following inspection of a Earthquake damaged straw bale  building where very
thin skin stucco with acrylic paint was used as a weather shield over
earthen plasters  I can vouch that this do not work, especially on exposed
faces ! ! ! ! !   Water will get in and cause loss of bond and worse

For  what it is worth a well mixed earthen plaster with sufficient clay to
bind and lots of grit and straw chaff (fine cob stuff) will weather and be
amenable to regular clay slip repairs and surface maintenance, as we imagine
to occur in historic Taos N M village life and other traditional cultures
where earthen buildings are more the norm and regular maintenance part of
the culture.

Here at adobe cottage we use a thin skin lime plaster render with a lime
wash (diluted lime putty brushed on) over cement stabilized adobes  as a
sacrificial weather skin and acknowledge this needs random minor repairs
where delamination has occurred on the exposed corner and walls.
(as an aside, lime plaster with the addition of a hand full of fresh cow pat
that has been well massaged onto a protected wall that has a good key
[roughened] and is kept humidified and protected from wind and cold has
proven effective and sticks like the proverbial . . . . )

Regards

Ian  E  Redfern

  www.adobesouth.co.nz   Ian Redfern
 Adobe South