[GSBN] lime over hessien

ejgeorge at riseup.net ejgeorge at riseup.net
Thu Apr 17 12:55:35 UTC 2014

Hi Sarah,

Couple of comments --

One issue would be the tightness/looseness of the weave of the hessian
wrap. We've similarly tried using a loose weave burlap as a key, and
discovered it took a lot of effort to actually force the plaster
through the gaps. Despite due diligence in doing so, when removing a
plastered wall section for an addition several years ago, we
discovered that the burlap created a weak bond between layers.

Maybe a really loose weave could work - we've switched to a very thin
1" poly mesh (known in these parts as "deer netting") which allows for
much better keying, though it is unfortunately plastic so wouldn't
provide the moisture component they're seeking.

Another concern would be the potential slumping from the weight of all
that wet plaster.  We like to let the bulk of the moisture come out of
the clay base coat and then add it back in on the surface with a hose
to get the moisture level that seems appropriate for the season and
site.  In our climate, when we have had issues with a 2nd and finish
lime plaster coat not carbonating properly it has been from excess
moisture typically at the bottom of the wall.  Tall walls are
particularly problematic for us with moisture moving downward and
keeping the bottom of the wall too wet.

As far as keeping the lime from drying too fast, we have experimented
with completely tarping in the plaster and using irrigation misters to
provide humidity. Our climate sounds much less extreme than your
client's, and as mentioned, our main challenge became dealing with
managing too much moisture with this set up and so we have mostly
returned to the tarp-it-in-and-mist-with-a-hose-as-needed method - but
if we had a particularly hot/dry summer with a wind-exposed site we
would definitely return to the misters.

Good luck!

ej

ej George, CSBA