[GSBN] lime over hessien

Sarah Johnston sol_design at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 07:11:15 UTC 2014

Greetings All,

We have clients who are in a predominantly very dry, windy climate with temperature extremes from 40C to -18C wanting to adapt the lime over clay plaster system we generally specify.

They are wanting to apply the 30mm 'body coat' (approximately 1clay;1sand;1straw) and immediately apply a clay slip soaked hessien/jute/burlap wrap around the entire home which is two story.  While still wet they are wanting to wire brush the hessian to create a key, apply another clay slip then 10mm of lime plaster.

The application of clay slip over the hessien seems like a bad idea to us but we can see the draw to being able to apply the lime over a wet substrate in their climate as trying to keep the lime from drying too fast is a real issue for them.

We have a colleague who has used this technique two times in their area but both projects have been up less than a year.  We have no personal experience with this technique and are hesitant to write a specification....

Can anyone give a history lesson?  I know there was an article in the Last Straw some time ago.  Anyone still using this concept?

Any input would be great!

Cheers,
Sven and Sarah Johnston

Sol Design, Ltd.