[GSBN] Smoke vs Flames (was re:Re: FASBA Fire test)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 7 20:05:07 UTC 2014

in GSBN Digest, Vol 34, Issue 19, Bruce King of Sausalito wrote:

> And, while I'm sure that plenty of unpleasant gases and particulates
> come out of burning straw, I bet that, as a whole, the effects are much
> less harmful than the junk that come out of burning
> modern/industrialized building materials, especially plastics and the
> hundreds of petrochemical compounds that we routinely use.

I'm undecided as to whether or not to take Bruce's bet.

Perhaps it should be mentioned that in over 90% of building fires that
result in deaths,  the deaths were due to the smoke (carbon monoxide, CO2
poisoning, lack of oxygen) rather than the flames.

Would I rather die of smoke from burning straw or smoke from burning
plast-eccchhhh! ?

Surprisingly, some plast-ecccchhh! insulations generate very
little/innocuous smoke when exposed to flame and some even self-extinguish
when the flame is removed. But some plast-ecchhh! insulations generate
great volumes of nasty-looking black smoke and continue to burn after the
flame source is removed.

OTOH, mineral wool insulation (ie Roxul) simply does not burn and
generates zero smoke.

I nominate the Alberquerky Derelict as a candidate to make a YouToob video
demonstrating the fire and smoke characteristics of small samples of say,
a dozen insulation (conventional and NatBuild) materials.

Thengya. Thengyallverramuch.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")