[GSBN] Straw Bale Insulated Ceiling

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Tue Feb 4 16:54:24 UTC 2014

For the "igloo" method, we did do a bale vault in the desert.  One source
of concern we had was about vapor being able to escape to the outside,
since the latex roof membrane was directly on the bales.  After plastering,
the bales contained a lot of moisture, and the house wasn't occupied, and
with the building at an equilibrium with the outside temperature, little
drying was happening, and we went running to Dr. Straube for advice.  He
suggested we turn on the air conditioning, and that created enough
temperature differential to drive the vapor to the outside.  I'm not sure I
would do a roof anywhere but the desert without some sort of venting at the
top of the bales.

An interesting feature we noted in our monitoring was that the vapor moved
around in the bales in the vault quite a bit following the heat of the sun.
 We've observed this in walls, as well--vapor moves freely around inside
the bales following temperature conditions, particularly from the sun.  One
thing this means is that if you have a condensing surface at the top of the
bales (often the case), and a source of excessive moisture (air leak), heat
will drive vapor to the top of the wall where it may condense and cause
damage.

Nice bulidings, Jorge.  On the first house, what's the ceiling?  It looks
like wood slats...

John "I go Igloo" Swearingen

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction