[GSBN] Pannel wall systems.

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 25 01:11:23 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Some time ago the discussion was about panels and bale sizes.

I have by chance uncovered some salvaged files form past computer corpses,

And found the missing photos.

The photo attached is of some bales we tested under load.

Bales are 1200 long  600 high and 400 deep.

Bale weight is 36kg per bale.

Bale shape is such that the sides are flat , ends square , but the top and
bottom are rounded,

Thus making stacking in a wall more unstable, but laid in a wall on flat and
rendered and tilted up may work well.

Bales are strung around ( not along ) the bale, 9 ties per bale.

Simple to cut the length , no re tying of the bale.

The test rig ; 2 bales  +80 kg of water  over 18 months .

Partially exposed to elements ( not the ideal test conditions)

Total creep  85mm

Initial early creep 20mm

Conclusion:

Satisfactory for use as bale walls,

Rounded top and bottom made them more suited to Panel production

Additional weight per bale ( per m/2 of wall) will increase  required
footing strength.

Manual handling issues associated with lift and shift of individual bales.

Only one supplier in the state.

Supplier indicated they can alter size, weight, and length . Not a straight
forward process to achieve a better bale existing small square.

Concluded that there is no benefit in using these over our standard 950 x
350 x 450 bale.

I believe the machine that cuts these and other sizes , and also re ties
them is out of Canada.

It cuts them from the jumbo squares .

There are a couple of these machines in Australia .

Sorry for the delay in response.

Regards lance Kairl

House of Bales