[GSBN] Prefab straw bale systems for TLS

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Tue Oct 8 01:09:14 UTC 2013

This is the reason I'm keen to do an overview of prefab builders around
the world for TLS... there are so many different approaches and business
models.

The great thing about prefab, from my point of view, is that it suits a
model of micro-factories, rather than large centralized production.
Built regionally this way, labour costs would reflect reasonable
expectations for that area without cross "wage zones" and embedding lots
of shipping costs/impacts.

I know that NatureBuilt pays its employees quite well... in keeping with
or better than most people would be getting on a site built job. It's an
important part of a business model that attempts to do the right thing
by the environment and people.

Keep your eye out for the prefab article in an upcoming TLS issue.
Better subscribe now!

Chris

On 13-10-07 8:56 PM, jfstraube wrote:
> A very wise comment by Lance, IMHO.
> Labor costs, competitive material costs, and competitive wall system
> costs all vary widely in my experience.
> In the US and Canada, there are projects where $400/sf (!) of wall
> area are budgeted, and others were it is tough to get $20.  Labor
> rates vary from under $20 to over $60/hr and productivity may vary by
> a factor of two.
> The construction costs in central Stuggart are much much more than
> downtown Kansas City (real examples for me), and the costs of housing
> in San Francisco/Boston infill has almost nothing to do with suburban
> New Mexico.
>

> On 2013-10-07, at 7:44 PM, Lance Kairl wrote:
>
>> Greetings and All,
>> It is my understanding the NatureBuilt crew may not be working for
>> standard industry wages and conditions,
>> And or your industry rates are rather different than ours...the
>> product cost is a result of all ...all the input costs.
>> As with one panel system here in Australia , owners and volunteers ,
>> can assist in the construction and rendering of the panels,
>> This certainly affects the end cost of the product.
>> For some countries , definitely including Australia" our level of
>> insulation for " cookie cutter houses" is around R 2.5 metric ( R 10
>> imperial)
>> Compared to 5 -6 times that for a straw bale wall.  Our costing's are
>> not comparing Like to Like  in terms of insulation value.
>> No one tries to achieve the same level of insulation here with other
>> insulating materials.
>> Thus another great advantage for Panel bale wall systems in the cold
>> climates.
>> Cheers lance
>> House of Bales.
>
> John Straube