[GSBN] A Climate Ride Challenge - Post Ride Update

Lance Kairl sabale at bigpond.com
Sun May 26 09:37:36 UTC 2013

Hi Martin and all,

Carbon management and carbon off sets , a whole new world.

In my research in Australia  any carbon accounting benefit goes to the
producer... the farmer producing the straw or forester planting and
harvesting trees.

So as a strawbale builder we are unable to create ,collect, or  trade  any
carbon credits associated with the straw or timber in our buildings.

Conservative estimates would allocate straws and timber as a 1;1  weight of
straw or timber to co2e ( equivalent carbon in the atmosphere)

So while a strawbale building may contain 8 tonnes ( metric) of straw and 12
tonnes of timber, we can equate this to 20 tonnes of C02e .

In a carbon sensitive world , most carbon is only accounted for so as to ;

Identify a business carbon foot print,

Enable some choices in reduction

And offset by buying someone else’s good carbon.

Appear green or highlight some degree of greenness.

Life cycle cost analysis , looks at the carbon footprint of a product ( in
our case a group of products  that make a house)

And ascertains the foot print of the product from its primary product thru
its use and including its deconstruction.

There are few ( very few) products that may be carbon neutral,

some carbon accounting  systems do not put short cycle Carbon into the
equation.

 short cycle = trees and crops....can supposed ably be replaced in our life
time....who’s living long enough to replace the 300 year old tree

that I used for my windows or the 120 year old fire wood we burn.

So where to from here, do a life cycle cost analyst ( LCA)of your buid, and
compare it to a steel, brick build  ( that is if they have done a LCA)

This will highlight the difference a strawbale home can make.

Or simply add up the straw and timber and promote on the basis of if being a
great store for co2.

(accredited accounting methods for co2e are preferred)

Regards lance Kairl

www.houseofbales.com.au

ps presently studying ( or is that failing ) carbon management.