[GSBN] A Climate Ride Challenge - Post Ride Update

M. Oehlmann martinoehlmail at gmail.com
Sun May 26 08:30:35 UTC 2013

Hello all and congretulations for all the inspiring news...

About 3 years ago I was figuring out if it might be possible to declare
straw-bale housing (in this case with big bales) as CO2 sink, as the
natural materials like straw, wood and clay compensate the CO2-consuming
material like electric equipment, tyles etc. more than needed. UN FCCC and
UN ECE-CLRTAP however do not consider wood and straw as a CO2 storage. I
talked with the responsable manager of the Oeko-Institut in Darmstadt who
is advisor for the German government on this issue and he said, he would
not accept wood and straw as compensation.

Of course there are window frames of wood who are not that durable, but all
depends on the quality of the wood, its protection and the design. Most of
the wood used in a house never will touch moisture and as such the straw.

Anybody more news on this topic, possibly within the last three years
insights on this have changed?

Greetings from the Netherlands at the moment,

Martin Oehlmann