[GSBN] Wall Heights - Larger & Multi-storey Straw Bale buildings

Kyle Holzhueter nihondaigaku.kairu at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 13:40:54 UTC 2013

Hello Andy,

This might also be too late, but attached is a photo of a two story straw
bale structure in Asahikawa, Hokkaido, Japan known as Square One.

In continuation of the previous email I just sent, the home features a
North American/European style of timber framing (small knee braces), which
allowed for the bales to be notched with a chain saw and stacked between
the posts with plaster finishes on both the interior and exterior.

I should also mention that the owner of the home, Toby Weymiller, recently
passed away in a snow avalanche. He was an amazing man, with incredible
courage, and built a beautiful home! I remember that John Glassford gave
Toby advice via the yahoo SBr-us mailing list.

Kyle

Kyle Holzhueter  PhD (Bioresource Sciences)
Nihon University, Graduate School of Bioresource Sciences
Architectural and Regional Ecological Design Studio
1866 Kameino Fujisawa Kanagawa 252-0880 Japan

カイル・ホルツヒューター 博士(生物資源科学)
日本大学大学院 生物資源科学研究科
建築・地域共生デザイン研究室
〒252-0880 神奈川県藤沢市亀井野1866