[GSBN] straw/cell assembly

ejgeorge at riseup.net ejgeorge at riseup.net
Fri Apr 12 03:02:17 UTC 2013

More questions for Kyle, and some for Lance too...

Kyle,  to add to Derek's question
- what's the size and spacing of the timbers and therefore what's the
thickness of the cellulose cavity?
- it sounds like one side of the frame is usually sheathed, how is the
cellulose held in place on the other side? I'm curious too to hear the
rationale for installing the cellulose first.
- You mention the bales can be stacked inside OR outside the frame.
The versions NBNE folks have come up with all have the bales to the
inside which then provides ease of installation of rainscreen. What do
you do for exterior & interior walls when the bales are to the outside
of the frame?

Lance,
you said
"I tend to like the seal of Ply or OSB sheeting on the inside of the frame.
As it provides for a better seal, for vermin and acts as fire blocking.
Also gives a dedicated cavity for plumbing or electrical....complete with
bulk insulation."
I wasn't sure if you meant you put the framed wall to the inside of
the bales (in our climate we try to keep plumbing chases as close to
interior wall surface as possible) or if you are also separating the
the cellulose cavity from the bales?
Vermiculite plaster sounds interesting!

Thanks for your replies!

ej