[GSBN] Wall Heights - Larger & Multi-storey Straw Bale buildings

forum at lamaisonenpaille.com forum at lamaisonenpaille.com
Sat Apr 6 08:08:06 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

> ......for instance I would think that if one had an earth plaster for
> instance which was very well bonded into the straw (as with say a
> pre-dipping method where one has up to 80mm of earth fused with the
> outer layer of straw)

I just wanted to comment on the dipping method for creating a -supposed-
superior bond.

Chris Magwood (correct me if I'm wrong) who has dipped with  French
Dip-Tom Rijven has tested different types of bonding plaster to bales
and the outcome (not surprisingly) was that dipped bales do NOT hold
their plaster any better then other methods.

I have also dipped with Tom and opening up them bales afterwards showed
no penetration in dense bales.

IMHO, in order to create the best bond one can, one has to drive the
plaster into the bales as hard as one can.
Letting a bale sit in a few inches of slip does not 'wick' the plaster
in a bale. And if it does go into the bale, I worry about the density of
that bale.

Have a nice weekend,
André
France