[GSBN] Flinging stuff (was Re: Can bale buildings be air tight?- How to ventilate)

John Swearingen jswearingen at skillful-means.com
Thu Mar 28 16:14:20 UTC 2013

*"There's nothing to prevent a person living in northern
Alberta....flinging open the triple-glazed windows and fibreglass doors....*
* then the question becomes one of willingness to accept **moral
responsibility** for ones actions in consuming far more resources than
necessary to allow one that carefree door and window flinging."*
*
*
The humble HRV is being touted as the moral alternative to an open window;
it provides fresh air (though not sounds, breezes or smells) at a low
energy cost.  However, if we're talking  about *moral responsibility**, *well,
it needs to be remembered that a HRV only mitigates a problem steaming, at
root, from our desire to be comfortable -and the criteria by which we
demand our comfort.  Perhaps in the back of whatever mind is left in
doddering old hippies, is the nagging feeling that this humble fresh air
machine is aiding and abetting a lifestyle that is consumptive to the core.
 Whereas our grandparents died of something called "consumption", our
current consumption may be dooming the entire planet.

Just a random, cheerful thought that I had while waiting in the
air-lock vestibule to be cleared by Homeland Security....I'll go back to
sleep now....

John Swearingen
Skillful Means Design & Construction
2550 9th Street   Suite 209A