[GSBN] Flinging stuff (was Re: Can bale buildings be air tight?- How to ventilate)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 15 16:55:21 UTC 2013

A someone was was quoted as saying (to which several "Hear! Hear!`s were
heard):

> I prefer a design approach that minimises the use of expensive, resource
> gobbling,
> and complicated materials and systems.  A colleague of mine sums it up
> thus:

> The.... division is between those who fling open their doors to embrace
> the day,and those who huddle behind triple glazing worrying whether they
> are going to be comfortable.

Sometime back in the previous millennium, on a quaint little email
strawbale mailing list hosted by CREST, a Buddhist lay-preacher/strawbale
building contractor from Northern California once uttered the wise words:

     "Latitude determines the attitude (, dude)"

when a similar discussion about the need for air-tight construction in
super-insulated buildings was being carried out.

That is to say, those building in the more mild and/or arid climates of
places like the SW USA could afford to be a little more casual about
things like detailing to ensure air-tight construction and hence, could
stay blissfully ignorant about stuff like required ventilation rates to
ensure good IAQ and such seeming nonsense.

I also remember back to around that time (1996 or so ?), the fellow who
started this thread on this list talking about blower door test numbers in
2013,  back then expressing sentiments similar to those written by NZ
archiTony,  eschewing the complexities of the demands placed upon us by
good building science and embracing a desire for a simplicity in building
that would enable him to avoid (and I quote) "knob-twiddling,
knerpwhistles" and by inference, anything having to do with numbers and
yet, now in 2013, this List is seeing the same Canadian fellow boasting
about European PassivHaus religion-inspired blower door numbers like
"0.88".

Last I saw of the Buddhist lay-preacher-hot-tubbing-surfer-dude-SB
designer/builder, he was running energy modeling programs on his current
SB projects.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose . Eh ?

There's nothing to prevent a person living in northern Alberta ( ~ 7500
HDD/yr (degC)  or ~13,500 HDD/yr degF) flinging open the triple-glazed
windows and fibreglass doors on their SBH to embrace the day ... whether
it be a minus 40 degree (same in Celsius or Fahrenheit) day in January or
a plus 40 degC (~104 degF) day in July  pretending that they're a Kiwi in
Northwood, Christchurch, Canterbury NZ (~933 HDD/yr near as I can figure)
... but I'm fairly confident that they wouldn't do it for very long or
very often.

That is to say, constructing a well-insulated building to be air-tight as
is *demanded* by the principles of good building science does not preclude
the option to avoid simply opening a window or door to provide the
ventilation necessary to ensure good IAQ.

But if one is also consuming fuel and spewing GHG emissions to condition
the interior in order to raise or lower temperatures/ humidity in relation
to ambient outdoor conditions and/or dumping hundreds of gallons of
precious water into the desert atmosphere via a swamp cooler to make a
building interior tolerable, then the question becomes one of willingness
to accept moral responsibility for ones actions in consuming far more
resources than necessary to allow one that carefree door and window
flinging.

Me ? I like to use air-lock vestibules on all entries.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")