[GSBN] Solar air heater and hygroscopic plaster as ventilation strategies (was re: Can bale buildings be air tight?- How to ventilate)

Van Krieken vankrieken at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 22:54:22 UTC 2013

Rob Tom, I'll be glad to research a clear answer to your questions if you
provide some more information,

You wrote:

"At the risk of getting put onto yet some more listmembers $#!+ lists, I'd
ask Jorge to explain to us how he thinks that the solar air heater that he
mentions would go about providing the necessary air change rate  to each
habitable room (ie numerous bedrooms as well, which are likely somewhat
isolated from the main living areas) in the house at night when the sun is
down and all of the
occupants are at home and needing fresh air, assuming that he would only
install one Solarventi device on a given single family residence (a not
unreasonable assumption since the cost of one of the SAH mentioned in his
example is about the same cost as an HRV or ERV, which *would* do the job.)"

I ask:

1. Hoy many rooms are you talking about? 1, 5, 10 or 100? Maybe you could
provide a clear example if you need a clear solution. Do you have a project
I can see? No device its a miracle. Ofcourse many other issues should be
questioned, like what kind of insulation you have, U values, materials,
etc. To get the proper air exchange in the apartment,ofcourse there must be
a natural roof vent or mechanical vent. Also, you need some air (diferent
solutions for a house in the Moon or in Saturn, I guess).

2. Why do you assume that they only install one device? You can build one
for 200 euros, so you maybe can build some more depending on the size of
your house. Or you also have only one door and one window for the whole
house? At night time you could perhaps shut the windows

3. How do this HRV or ERV "would" do that job? What job?

"A little more specifically, I would ask Jorge to explain how the minimal
rate of 10 litres per sec would be delivered to the master bedroom at
night in winter (ie when outside temperatures are below freezing) in a
two-storey design where the bedrooms are typically on the upper floor
level."

Whay dont tou put a small device then in your upper floor?
If you heat your house during the day, and if your walls and floors are
good enought (thermal mass, lime, clay...) and well insulated from the
outside (perhaps strawbales?), then you probably will spend a nice worm
romantic night and the candle lights will not blow out, if you keep your
windows closed...

Finally, I am sorry if this canadian original idea was stolen by a danish
or so company. In my short life experience of something more then half a
century I'v learn something important: there are many answers to one same
question and many people who invested a lot of time investigating the same
issues. All of them deserves my respect, not because they know something,
but specially because they enjoy to share what they know, or, in other
words, because they are genuinely generous.

All the best

Jorge Van Krieken