[GSBN] Air tight bale buildings and ventilation

Chris Magwood chris at endeavourcentre.org
Wed Mar 20 17:44:33 UTC 2013

Thanks John, for your input. I agree wholeheartedly, even more so now
that I've built an extremely air tight (final inspection 0.63ACH/50...
finish clay plaster over the rough, straw-rich plaster brought us down
from 0.88, for those who still think this thread is about air tight bale
buildings!) bale home with a full mechanical ventilation system. It is
hands-down the freshest, cleanest and healthiest indoor environment I've
ever experienced. Even the construction dudes who've come on site have
commented on this, including the smokers!

For me, the question is not whether to build appropriately air-tight and
well insulated buildings, or whether to ventilate them. The question is
how much ventilation is required and can it be done in a more passive
manner.

I definitely have reservations about having made a building that is so
reliant on generated energy (the house has 5kw of solar, but is still
grid-tied) in order to function as designed. I certainly understand the
hesitation of those who would rather not have the "mechanical lung"
running in their homes. I'm not sure I do either.

What seems to be needed is a look at how much ventilation is required.
Right now, this particular home is designed to Ontario Building Code
standards for "required" ventilation to each designated room in the
house. These standards, I'm assuming, were developed for homes that have
little or no moisture storage capacity in the building materials and a
certain amount of offgassing from materials in the home. I'm sure that
our "vapour-open" home with the large storage capacity of timber
subflooring, clay plasters and wood ceilings in the bathrooms, and no
impermeable paints even on the drywall sections, does not need the
prescribed amount of ventilation to ensure that there is no moisture
condensing on the walls or windows. And given that no material in the
home contains toxins (or at least identifiable toxins), we probably
don't need code levels of ventilation to flush the poisons.

So the question I have is this: Can we figure out ways to passively (or
with gentle mechanical persuasion) ventilate such a home adequately?
Solar hot air collectors? Earth tube ventilation? Vent tubing in trombe
walls? Solar exhaust fans? Air intake through heated slabs? Gerbil
propelled fans in each room?

Just as we've started to see that there is a reasonable meeting ground
between 100% natural (a la cave or mud hut) buildings and those that use
lots of assembled natural materials used wisely along with sparing and
thoughtful use of manufactured materials (nobody seems to think that
good windows are a bad idea), I think our next collective objective is
to figure out how to service such buildings with a blend of assembled
natural principles and materials and sparing use of manufactured systems
(little, hard-wired PV with DC motors).

It's hard to imagine that the acres of ductwork, wiring, computer chips,
blower motors and other equipment used to heat/ventilate our buildings
can really be the end point on this continuum. Those systems work very
well and meet one key objective of keeping the IAQ way up. In the same
way that we've collectively figured out how to make high performance
structures with the lowest possible impacts, I think the next frontier
for those looking to move forward is high performance mechanical systems
with the lowest possible impacts.

The good news is that our collective knowledge of how to make efficient
buildings makes the next task of figuring out high performance, low
energy mechanicals so much easier. The bad news is that I don't think
we're going to get the infusion of research cash that helped the
building industry figure out the air tightness, insulation and
mechanical strategies that are now becoming current. The next round of
arguments with code officials will not be around straw bale walls, but
around passive and low-energy ventilation and heating strategies, use of
rainwater in buildings, composting toilets and grey water recycling, etc.

Here's to hoping that the creative energy that we collectively displayed
in learning how to make high performance natural buildings can now be
directed toward the operational systems of these buildings. Then we'll
have really kicked some ass.

Chris

--
Chris Magwood